Congratulations to our Lancers who graduated last Saturday! As you embark on your next steps, here is what the job market is looking like as well as some resources you can use to find career success.
- Hiring is up by 7.8% from last year
- Top majors for hiring are: Finance, Accounting, Management, Information Systems, Marketing, Math, Chemistry, Physics, Communications, Political Science, Psychology
- Top skills employers seek are: ability to work on a team, ability to make decisions and solve problems, ability to plan, organize and prioritize work, ability to communicate with those inside and outside of the organization
- Other attributes employers seek include: leadership, strong work ethic, initiative, detail oriented
So now you know what employers want and that hiring is looking good, but where do you find jobs? Check out these resources:
Remember that the staff of the ACAC is here to help and we are open all summer! Contact us at 434-395-2063 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to set up a phone appointment with a career advisor.
Resources: The Job Outlook 2014 survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers
Congratulations Lancers on another successful semester and to our seniors on graduation! The ACAC is excited to celebrate with you and we ask that you share your stories with us! Did you get that internship you were hoping for, the job offer you wanted or are enrolling in your dream graduate school? Comment on this blog to share your news!
Also seniors, we would love for you to share your first destination after Longwood by completing this quick survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XSN3HLK
Congratulations again everyone and we wish you all the best! For our seniors, please know our services continue even after graduation. For all students, we are open all summer!
Hey Lancers! Are you already planning your summer? Want a great way to learn more about career options as well as grow your network? Participate in the ACAC’s Shadow a Lancer program. It’s as easy as 1-2-3:
1. Check out the list of alumni participating in the program:
- Jenessa L. Gibson, Child and Adolescent Case Manager, Hampton, VA
- Kristine Stewart, Peninsula Region Director of Special Olympics Virginia, Newport News, VA
- Candice Shelton, Education Director and Visitor Services of Virginia War Memorial, Richmond, VA
2. Email Sarah Hobgood at email@example.com to let her know the alum you want to shadow
3. Once a match is made, follow the instructions in the confirmation email on setting up the meeting then check out the ACAC’s handout on informational interviewing: http://www.longwood.edu/career/26744.htm
What would you answer if you were asked this on an interview? Do you want to know how to prepare for interviews? Do you know what common interview mistakes to avoid?
The ACAC has some great resources for preparing for interviews including videos on the wildest interviews:
We also have packets filled with interview preparation tips and lots of practice questions:
The best way to prepare for an interview is to practice! Come in to the ACAC for a mock interview, which you can schedule by calling 434-395-2063 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember when you are on interviews it is important to be yourself and be confident!
The organization, Career Opportunities for Students with Disabilities will be hosting a Virtual Job Fair on Thursday, April 17th.
This event is a virtual career exploration day with employers seeking talented students with disabilities.
Be prepared to ask questions and share your resume!
Learn about internship and full time opportunities in the Washington, DC region for:
• Information Technology
• Accounting and Finance
• Business Management…and Others!
Register now to reserve your space!
Are you exploring the possibility of graduate school? Did you know the ACAC has some great resources for your research?
Visit our graduate school section of our website to find information on
- searching for programs
- tests you might have to take
- financing graduate school
Some of our favorite resources include Peterson’s guides for finding programs and Kaplan for test preparation, just to name a couple.
We are also hosting Virginia Tech today as a representative is visiting to share about the different grad programs at VT and the admission requirements. Come learn about your options and get your questions answered. The session will be in Ruffner 116 at 4 pm. We hope to see you there!